This is an update on our little experiment on ridding ourselves of one of the most vile, hard to remove algae that we have ever encountered. We have learned how not to kill Black Beard Algae.
We have, it seems, every week, scraped, shot, and cut away at this menacing, vile plague during every water change to no avail. We have scoured the internet looking for a remedy to our dilemma and have found all kinds of potential fixes, but none have worked for us.
One of my go-to forums that I tend to visit in times of trouble is the Barr Report. I feel that Tom Barr is a fascinating biologist, and through experimentation, trial and error, and testing has come up with a solution to every issue that I can think of that we aquarists’ face in this hobby.
Someone on his forum, and it may have even been him suggested to crank up the CO2 and turn down the lights, etc., and of course dose, dose, dose, and you should be able to overcome the battle that seems to never be won. I figured if anyone could kill Black Beard Algae, it would be him, and I have no doubt he can. Well, for us, that did not happen.
While trying to kill black beard algae we killed our fish!
I think that one of the issues that we are having is lack of patience. Well, I am anyway. I’ll speak for myself and not my wife. We both work full time, so the time we actually get to spend micromanaging our aquariums is not near as much as we would like. I picture some of the folks that hang out in the forums as being retired or at least semi-retired with a little more time to spare. I could be totally wrong though. It’s funny the picture we get of someone we know nothing about.
It breaks my heart to tell you that we killed all our Chili Rasboras and at least half of our RCS population, our Scarlit Badis, and not to mention melting our Baby Tears (Hemianthus Callitrichoides), Cabomba Carolinianas, Mini Pellia, and Phoenix Moss.
We also had to remove the log that we had set as our main focal point. Good riddance to that thing though. It was the origination of this menace to society. I am really bummed about our setup though. What a hard lesson to learn.
I tested the water quality and parameters today figuring at least the ammonia would be spiked due to all the death in the tank, but surprisingly the quality was normal, and the parameters were stable. The water is a bit cloudy, and I would imagine that it’s due to decaying, melting plants.
So, here we are a week later with a tank that looks like a nuclear disaster area. Most of the algae is gray and dying which is a good thing, but some of it seemed to manage to not get annihilated. The whole scape is a mess now, and it’s a real shame because our scape was finally starting to mature and look like we had planned it to look. What you see in the picture above is what we have left. I wouldn’t be surprised if our next batch of RCS has three heads. Very sad…
We shot video of the progress of this nightmare on trying to kill Black Beard Algae, and will post it as soon as we find some editing software. If anyone reading this knows of some decent inexpensive photo and movie editing software, please comment below.
Fast forward- The Process of removing BBA
Yes, we almost killed all our animals. But its a new day in our Mr. Aqua 12 Long aquarium. Here is a detailed article of how we killed black beard algae in this aquarium – How to Remove Black Beard Algae – This Worked!